Competitive salary on offer plus 10.5% Superannuation | Leave Loading | Salary Packaging Available | Access to Company Vehicle
Office Locations: 273 High Street, Preston
Full-time Fixed term until JUNE 2025
The Victorian Aboriginal Legal Service Co-operative Limited (VALS) was established as a community-controlled Co-operative Society in 1973. VALS plays an important role in providing referrals, advice/information, duty work or case work assistance to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples in the State of Victoria. We are also actively involved in community education, research and advocacy around law reform and policy development.
For more information about VALS, please visit our website https://www.vals.org.au/
OVERVIEW OF THE ROLE:
As VALS Family Lawyer, you will be expected to provide high quality legal services, including information, advice, representation, casework, negotiation, and dispute resolution. You will perform outreach in Family Law matters with a focus on family violence and related hearings in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria and the Federal Circuit and Family Courts of Australia on behalf of members of the Aboriginal community in Victoria. This position also conducts some legal services in relation to child protection matters.
- Appear as an advocate on behalf of VALS clients in Family Law proceedings in the Magistrates’ Court of Victoria and the Federal Circuit and Family Courts of Australia and at other state-wide locations as required.
- Deliver high quality legal services, including information, advice and casework
- Maintain a substantial caseload in family law, child protection and family violence matters.
- Prepare and comply with applications for grants of legal assistance and reporting requirements for matters eligible for Victoria Legal Aid funding.
- Attend, participate and contribute to the planning, service delivery and continuous improvement of the Aboriginal Families Practice and VALS.
- Contribute to VALS projects, policy and law reform initiatives, and community and professional legal education programs as required.
- Keep up to date with relevant legal developments and procedures by attending professional legal education and maintain an understanding of issues, risks and trends
- Impacting upon legal services and members of the Aboriginal community in Victoria.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Admitted as a legal practitioner for a minimum of 2 years in Victoria and in the High Court of Australia. (Essential)
- Demonstrated ability to act as an advocate and to deliver information, casework and outreach services, and undertake negotiation and dispute resolution for VALS clients in Family Violence, Intervention Orders and Family Law matters. (Essential)
- Knowledge of and practical experience in relevant law and procedure, with a focus on Family Violence Intervention Orders and Family Law and willingness to conduct child protection matters. This includes in advancing the Aboriginal child placement principle. (Essential)
- Sound interpersonal and communication skills, including with Aboriginal and Torres
- Strait Islander people who may be experiencing distress, VALS staff and other organisations with which VALS interacts.
- A commitment to, and understanding of the legal issues faced by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and communities
- Quick and accurate decision-maker, with proved skills in working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with others to foster a co-operative and supportive team environment consistent with the principles and values of the VALS.
- Competency in the use of MS Office software (Word, Excel, E-mail) and the capacity
- Fast learner, with ability to acquire competency in the use of VALS’ client management systems.
On offer of this position, you must provide:
- Copy of your current Employee Working with Children Card.
- You will be required to complete a current Criminal History Police Check.
- Up to date vaccination certificate or valid medical exemption
- Proof of rights to work in Australia, i.e., a copy of an Australian Passport, Birth Certificate, or Immigration VISA documentation
- Current valid Australian Driver’s Licence
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply for this opportunity, please provide:
- A covering letter outlining who you are and why you are suited to this position.
- A statement addressing each of the key selection criteria – applications submitted without a statement addressing the key selection criteria will not be accepted. Please note the key selection criteria is found within the position description.
- Your resume detailing your education and professional experience and two referees.
*Only successful applications will be contacted*
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from employment agencies. No (search) fee will be paid in the event we hire a candidate whose resume is submitted by an employment agency to any of our employees without a valid written recruitment agreement. Such resumes shall be deemed the sole property of VALS.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: Up to $74,138.63 per year
- Company car
- Professional development assistance
- Travel reimbursement
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- Valid Working With Children's Check
- Australia (Preferred)